Thursday, March 31, 2011

TONIGHT : Sarah Moon "Coincidences” opening @ Fahey/Klein




I have thought about it, but something I have come to realize is that I never photograph reality. That's a reason I could never do reportage. It's not my thing - not my way of working or my vision. I could never go out into the street and take a photograph. Also, I would be incapable of photo-graphing somebody without their agreement. I can't bear to be pushy, to intrude. People forget how cruel the camera can be - it seems often to reveal more than the naked eye. I've always been interested in fat people and old people, but I could not take advantage of them. So reportage would contravene my moral code, whereas fashion is perfect for me. It's not so much the clothes, but the beauty of the shapes and colours that appeals to me. But I also think there's a ceiling to fashion - and it's a low one - you can bump your head against it. At the end of the day, the real purpose of fashion photography is to serve the client and sell the product. Everything that you as the photographer add to it by way of story and mood, is for yourself alone. - Sarah Moon

March 31, 2011 through May 21, 2011

Opening Reception: Thursday, March 31st, 2011 7-9 p.m.

Fahey/Klein Gallery
148 N. La Brea Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036

No comments:

Post a Comment