Sunday, June 13, 2010

Book Project : Using YouTube

Sometimes I see viral videos numbering in the thousands, tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands but unless it's really cool or a music video, most times YouTube numbers are much, much lower.

As I am a start-up my numbers are low...really low. One of my video highest view is about 1,200

Then I discover this YouTube Channel by a gal who calls herself Nintendo Fan Girl. According to her "theme song" she enjoys being geeky and loves cosplay and Nintendo. She has over 8,000 subscribers (I have only 100) and she's been YouTubing (is that even a word ?) since 2006. Her numbers are impressive. Her top most viewed video has 33,578 views and it was only posted two months ago. Generally her numbers seems to be around 10,000.

So, I DM her and asked if I could send her a free copy of the book.

She accepted.






So a few weeks flew by and this video was released on June 4th.



In a week's time, her hits numbered over 9,000 .... that is in one week. In the video at around 2:30 she shows my book and spends about 30 seconds talking about it. She also listed my links on her video's page.

Not bad for sending a free book :)

My numbers coming into the site showed that people are definitely clicking through. As for book sales ? I sold two books during the first few days but I can't tell you if they saw the video or not. I like to think they did ^^

So far I'm concentrating only on the anime/manga/gaming markets and haven't even started touching on the photography book market. I've added more conventions to my tour.

I have one more convention to fine-tune my table and set-up before the largest anime convention in the United States lands at the LA Convention Center in July. 44,000+ people are expected to stream through their doors. In 2000, their attendance was 9,700. In 2009 it reached 44,000.

By the way, curious what the largest anime convention in the world is ? Japan Expo in Paris, France. Their numbers are a staggering 164,000 people. That is 20,000 more people than San Diego Comic Con ! (2009 numbers)

No comments:

Post a Comment