Saturday, January 24, 2009

"The Biggest Scam In Photography"

Rob Haggart from APhotoEditor.com and PDNPulse.com seem to have a back-and-forth about photo competitions. Rob posts "The Biggest Scam in Photography" and PDNPulse retorts with "Rob Haggart Writes a Poor Headline"

Personally, I believe these photo competitions are excellent way to get exposure and worth the $$$ you put in. I like to think of it as playing the lotto. Instead of $1 a week, it is $100 at a time and your prize is nationwide, perhaps global exposure (alright, if I did win $34 million from lotto, I wouldn't turn that down either !) I only enter the top 2 or 3 , the ones where I know creatives can see, not any of the smaller ones.

Besides, photo editors are just buried under mailers, emails and so forth. They need a gatekeeper to weed out some of the flood. Yes, I know it isn't perfect. It is political and the same names always seems to get in there but I believe it is worth it.

My mother pays the lotto in Texas. A buck a week for years. She probably spent over $500 in lotto tix and I believe the most she ever won was $5.

Read about the "scam" here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment