Wednesday, January 28, 2009

On Portfolio Reviews

Over on Jörg Colberg's blog Conscientious, he sent four questions to a variety of art buyer, photo editors, and photo reps about portfolio review and posted a few of their answers up. I posted a quick "snaps".


Q: If you attended (a) portfolio review(s) as a photographer in the past what did you learn from it (them)?

A: It can be a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to seeing your preferred reviewers. While all in all a positive experience I haven't done one in 2 years because at the moment I don't think I would get bang for my buck. The last one I went to I knew 3 of the 5 reviewers quite well already.

These events can be quite social though and that aspect is important. I think living in New York helps in ones physical exposure to people/events. If one lived elsewhere where I can see how valuable the face, networking socializing time can be.

I would encourage all reviews to have some sort of after event, whether it be a walk through, open house or just a few drinks and a dinner.


There's some great advice in here and made me realized that perhaps I need to take a look at these portfolio reviews. I know APA has one coming up and there's also one at the Palm Springs Photo festival too.

LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment