Monday, May 9, 2011

Helmut by June





Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5

This weekend I was cleaning my apt and came across "Helmut by June" stashed in my collection of DVDs. Now, I don't believe this has ever been commercially available but I came upon across this "For Your Consideration" screener copy at a thrift store on Hollywood Blvd around 2008. Just for kicks, I re-watched it and again marvel at how simple his lighting set-up was. In one instance, his assistant holds a flashlight. At one point, Helmut says "Everything is automatic. All I have to do is push a button. It's a camera that every amateur buys." Then he gestures to his head. "It's all in there.". His instructions are almost comical. "Big eyes ! Big eyes !" The documentary was shot by his wife June back in the 1990s and was broadcast on HBO in 2007. Luckily for those who don't have a screener copy, you can find it on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment