Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Baron Wolman "Large Prints" opening reception (12/3)


I was backstage with him and I was really puzzled by how little joy there was. He (Johnny Cash) was very serious in the entire series of pictures that I took of him. The very fact that he said it was OK to be back there was an honor and a gift, but when I looked at the pictures afterwards ... We all knew, subsequently, all the troubles that were going on in his mind, whether it was drinking, drugs, whatever it happened to be. And when I look at this, I see that all reflected. Now, the thing is, I was worried, because this was before the concert. I looked at him and I wondered how was he going to go out and put on a good show of any kind. But he did -- he went out and he put on a great show.


This Friday is the opening reception for Baron Wolman at Duncan Miller Projects Gallery. Baron was just 30 when approached by Jann Wenner approach him about helping to launch Rolling Stone and thus, became the magazine's first photographer for the next three years. Baron photographed most of the musical acts in the 1960s. This exhibition is called "Large Prints" as tjos is the first showing of large prints, in editions of only 3. Subjects include Little Richard, Joan Baez, Frank Zappa, The Grateful Dead, Miles Davis, Joni Mitchell, George Harrison, Grace Slick, Pete Townshend, Johnny Cash, Jimi Hendrix and others.

Please note this exhibition is not held at Duncan Miller on Venice Blvd but their other location over in Santa Monica.

Opening reception Dec 3 6-9 pm

Duncan Miller Projects Gallery
1716 1/2 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica CA 90405


+ AOL "PhotoSynthesis With Baron Wolman"
+ Facebook event page

No comments:

Post a Comment