Thursday, November 25, 2010

Brad Elterman Book Signing @ LeadApron (12/2)


You knew that your party was a hit if there were party crashers in attendance. These two guys Eddie and Gene were at every hot Hollywood bash. I could never figure out how they got into everything; but if they weren't there, it was probably a dud party. Gene was really short and everyone referred to the duo as "Eddie And The Midget.” Legend has it that Gene worked for the Gas Company as a meter reader by day and by night, he turned into this dashing party crasher. He was a fantastic dancer and would always hook up immediately with the most beautiful girl and proceed to spin her around the dance floor. You never saw anything like it. We never invited them to our parties, but we never threw them out either.


I remember thinking to myself while I was taking this photograph that this would be a memorable moment. Everything just clicked. The setting and the emerging icon were the perfect mix. The setting was the Tropicana Motel, which was a must-stay for all of the up and coming bands back in those days. It was a real dump, but everyone loved it.


Muhammad Ali was and is possibly still today the most famous and recognizable person on the planet Earth. Even if you lived in a mud hut somewhere, you knew Ali. I vividly remember when he walked to his seat at the Forum because the entire 18,400 guests and VIPs at this event stood up and applauded his arrival. It was truly a moving experience. I stood nearby for as long as I could to get this shot. It was not easy with all the security guards around, but by now I was a seasoned pro dealing with publicists and security guards. Nothing was going to stop me from getting this photo! Seated next to Ali are his wife Veronica, Dr. Jerry Buss, his lovely date, the former Mayor of Los Angeles, the great Tom Bradley and his wife Ethel. Many years later, Jerry Buss invited me to a boxing match at the Forum. Seated near me at ringside was Ali, now much older and ill. I shook his hand and, for the first time in my life, asked for an autograph.


Next Thursday, Brad Elterman will be at LeadApron in WeHo signing copies of his new book "Like It Was Yesterday" from 6-9 pm. RSVP over at info@leadapron.net

December 2, 2010 6-9 pm

LeadApron
8445 Melrose Pl
Los Angeles, CA 90069

No comments:

Post a Comment