Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Photographer vs. Santa Monica Pier

From LA Weekly article :

Citrano's account, which is by turns humorous and disturbing, begins when a low-level park employee tells the photographer the taking of pictures of family members is permitted, but not the shooting of "random" images -- not without signing a waiver and showing identification, that is. When Citrano asked for a definition of "family" the pier drone brought in someone higher up in the security apparatus.

"It was a 10-15 minute encounter that escalated," Citrano tells L.A. Daily. "The first guy was used to not being challenged on the issue and was confused by my questions about policy. Look, These guys are two steps from wearing Batman underwear."

Citrano was told by the higher-up that everything in the park -- which is located on public land -- is private property. Yet Citrano says the park is not posted as private property. The man gave Citrano this simple rule: You can take pictures of people but not things.


By the way, it's stated in the article that he was approached because his Nikon camera looks "professional". Professional ?! Even with a bottom-lined Nikon, you can get fine images from it. If the photographer carried say, a Canon AE-1 or Nikon F3, would this happen too ?

I'm starting to get tired of this. I've been approached three times this year by security people. I understand why they are doing it but their reasonings seems flawed. I know, I know. They are following orders from above. One told me I could take pictures but across the street...so I just switch to a zoom lens, and I can still take photos ? What kind of anti-terrorist move is this ? I'm still taking photos of the same building...just across the street ! Makes no sense... *grumble*

LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment