Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Marvin Rand 1924 - 2009

Described by friends as tenacious and opinionated, Rand walked through a house calling out the shots as he visualized them, often ignoring the architect's requests in favor of pictures framed by his own instincts and interpretations.

"I'd say, 'Please get this photo and this photo,' " recalled Martin Gelber, a Los Angeles architect who was still in architecture school at USC when he met Rand in the early 1960s. "Marvin would say, 'That's OK, but look at this.' He would open my eyes to something I never saw.

"Sometimes I wouldn't get the shot I wanted," said Gelber, a past president of the Los Angeles chapter of the American Institute of Architects, "but I'd get a better one."

"Marvin's work was alive," said Santa Monica architect Lawrence Scarpa, who met Rand at the start of his career in 1989. "He'd look for streaks of light or shadows. . . . He was incredible at understanding space. He loved to talk about architecture, more than some of my colleagues."


LATimes obituary

LATimes slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment