Saturday, February 28, 2009

West Coast photographer gets a nice call from the FBI....

Local photographer Thomas Hawk was out photographing the refineries down in Long Beach (I love those down there) and a while back there was an incident. You know the usual ones, company security comes out to talk to you. Well, in this case, it was Long Beach PD.

What I am tired of though is the harassment that photographers face on a regular basis while out documenting our world. Photography is not a crime. 911 didn’t suddenly magically turn photographers into criminals. And as long as photography is not a crime, I think that cops, security guards and other authority figures should be required to live within the legal system as it now stands. Maybe some day they will pass a law that shooting Long Beach Harbor is in fact a crime. Or maybe they’ll actually pass a law that permits *are* actually required to shoot there. But until that day happens (and I’d be one vocally opposing any such rule like that) this sort of harassment ought not take place. And it’s unfortunate when it does.

Then the FBI calls....

We talked for about 15 minutes over the incident. Carter said that Securitas reported that they asked me and a friend not to take photographs and we ran away from them and jumped into a black SUV. I explained to Carter that this was not how the incident went down, that we spent a good 15 or 20 minutes talking to the security guard, but insisting on our rights to photograph the refinery. And only left after that.

I gave Carter my blog address which he asked for. I suspect I won’t be hearing from the FBI again over the incident.


This is starting to really bug me. NY, LA and everywhere in between seems to think if you got a camera, you are a terrorist. I got stop one time because of the equipment I had. The guard said my camera look professional....wait, so terrorist are using professional gear ? Give me a break ! I somewhat suspect that terrorist aren't going to take the time to learn photography, then get a "professional" camera and do this.

I know, they are just doing their jobs I've been stop by LAPD, Metro, Amtrak...and usually it isn't a problem. I calmly describe what I'm doing, I give them my business card, I show them my images on iPhone...one Amtrak employee when he saw the photo said "You're actually a photographer !" I treat law enforcement with respect and i don't do anything stupid. I haven't had a case yet where they blatantly told me to step off though and I have never gotten into a pissing contest with any security/LAPD/etc. In most cases, I was allowed to continue shooting.

I suppose, at least I don't live in the UK where they just pass that nice new law that can get photographers arrested even if they suspect you took a photo of them.

Anyways, Thomas Hawk talks about his experience in his blog.

Here's other blogs I read relating to photographers' rights.
War on Photography
Photography is not a Crime

No comments:

Post a Comment