Friday, February 27, 2009

Blurb Blurb Blurb

Out of all the bookmakers out there, Blurb sounds like they got the lead. I personally have never seen one but am interested to check them out. Last week I talked to a photographer who had his portfolio re-done now as Blurb books. Really ? His rep seems to be in agreement with that decision and has already been sending it out when someone requests a portfolio. I haven't had a chance yet but I'm going have to go over to his place and check out the book's paper and general build later.

I'm starting to think this might be the right idea. My first books were made at House of Portfolios out of New York and sized 9x12 to fit into a standard FedEx box. My problem with it now is 1) I'm not into the shiny reflective sleeves anymore and 2) weight makes shipping costs expensive.

So I switch to a custom book done at Kater-Craft Bookbinders in Pico Riveria. The actual paper is printed from my Epson 2200 and Super 77 together, cut with an x-acto knife and machine-hole punched at a Kinko's. It took about 3 months for the whole process. I admit, I was influenced by a friend's portfolio and realized it would be the right size to show my work. The dimensions are close to a motion picture screen (my goal is production stills photographer).





Looks great but I didn't think about actually shipping this dang thing ! D'oh ! Now I'm thinking having a book made might be a good idea for Fedex-ing the book out. Astor Morgan mention A&I does books so I'm investigating them out and I'll check out my friend's Blurb book for the quality. I like to retain the original portfolio's dimensions so more than likely I'll have to do a custom book. So I'll have to figure this one out.....

Now I'm curious for reader's comment out there about these do-it-yourself sites and what works/don't work for them. Did you like the results ? Good ? Bad ? Are you using it as a coffee table book or a portfolio or leave behind ?

PS : his morning I found a blog with some advice on doing your Blurb photo book.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I've never had a book to send out and keep thinking it's about time.

    Will you update this and let us know what you think about your friend's Blurb book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My buddy in Chicago just did his with Blurb and says it's amazing. I'd need to see for myself too.

    ReplyDelete