Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Connecting With People



I'm not a Terry Richardson fan but I totally understand what he says in this clip. When I first started photography, I thought it was about the equipment but after years here I realized it is how you communicate, vibe, work with who you are photographing that is really important. How do you reach and shake down that barrier ? How do you get to that level where the subject and photographer can work off each other easily ?

I'm sure many photographers have noticed a pattern of this curve. Your first roll or two may not be great but you ae two are getting to know each other, somewhere in the middle you get to the point where you two are in sync, and it goes for a while, you're getting great stuff and there's an apex where it drops.

What do you do to get the person you're photographing to be comfortable ?

2 comments:

  1. I bring wine, but maybe that's to get me comfortable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol ! I know more than a few photographer who have wine or in case of one photographer I know, he has Patron in his studio. ^^

    ReplyDelete