Monday, September 28, 2009

Monday (9/28)

+ Hey, this Wednesday ASMP/LA will be presenting architectural photographer Norman McGrath @ Bergamot Station. Doors at 6:30, event at 7 pm. All the details can be found here.

+ Just open yesterday at Craft and Folk Art Museum (y'know, the one down from LACMA ?) Myth and Manpower: Graphics and the California Dream.

Early 20th century California fruit box labels painted a mythical picture of a sun-soaked state with pristine orchards, luxurious fruit, and glamorous women. With its peaceful colors, reassuring text, and Hollywood-backdrop scenery, these labels sold the California dream to American consumers every time they went to the grocery store.

Funny enough, I remember sitting at a pizza joint (my old college hangout) looking at framed fruit box labels hanging on the wall. Even in small town in Texas, California beckon me. ^^ The exhibition runs till Jan 10th.

+ I was at Calumet dropping off Epson ink cartridges into their recycle box when I noticed a sign by their rental desk advertising studio and travelite kit rental to students for an incredible cheap price. Yes, I didn't know this but Calumet has a small studio in the back - I assume it must be for their classes they have at their store though I admit I never attended one.

I took a photo of the sign on my iPhone and somehow lost the image. I believe the price is $75 bucks for studio space and lights. Call Calumet (323) 466-1238 to check it out - just ask for their rental dept. I'm gonna try to drive by later this week and snap another shot of it. Curse you iPhone...I love you and I hate you !

+ I keep find out more and more ArtWalks...if you're in San Pedro (people here pronounce it Peeee-dro while I'm used to Ped-rooo) this Thursday, they have their own walk going on. It's called "First Thursdays" and starts at 6 pm.

+ Looking briefly at different events listed around town for the week and I don't see much photo events. I'll keep digging and of course if y'all out there know anything, please email me details ! PIXFEED (at) GMAIL.


:: RANDOM ::

+ LAT : Appiphilia: A Chase to legitimize iPhone photography
+ Rockaway Records in Silverlake turns 30
+ Where The Wild Things Are Pop-Up Shop at Space 15 Twenty
+ Futuristic Gas Station (La Brea/Slauson)
+Los Angeles Plays Itself, "FlashForward" Edition
+ Tomorrow (Sept 29) @ SMMOA : "Building the Love House: Using Art for Social Change in Watts"

No comments:

Post a Comment