Sunday, September 25, 2011

Eric Schwabel's Burning Man 2011



I can’t explain the “why” of this project, it’s simply something I needed to do. But I can explain what the suit is. In 2010, the suit was two medium sized softboxes attached to a military frame pack using general photographic grip equipment (extension arms, knuckles, superclamps, etc). The lighting was two 1200 w/s battery powered strobe heads. There were two configurations: with the boxes straight in front of me, and the extra weight supported with a bicycle trailer that I was pushing, and the 2nd was straight up above my shoulders, which allowed me to get a lower angle. In this case, my assistant towed the bicycle trailer and batteries and I walked alongside.

In 2011, I switched to one light. I again used Pro-7b kits, this time with a twin head and a big white reflector. I also experimented without the suit, using a c-stand mounted to a bicycle trailer. This allowed me to light from more than just “straight on,” though between dehydration, playa dust in the nose and general overwhelm-ment (that’s not a word, I know), I think most of the shots remained straight-on.

I consider the project a success, but never finished. The plan is to continue to change and adjust and add for years to come. As long as Black Rock City will have me, I will keep coming.


Read more on Eric Schwabel's The Human Light Suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment