Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Jocelyn Lee "Nowhere But Here"



The relationship I have with my subjects is very important to me. The time it takes to make the picture (which is long), and the dynamic that develops during the shoot, is a significant part of the process and meaning of the pictures. There is a lot of respect coming from my side of the camera towards my subject. I’ve always taken issue with the interpretation that a photograph is a “stolen moment”, stolen by one human being (the photographer) from another (the subject). I understand that premise and that way of making pictures (the stalking, secretive photographer—often used by journalists) and I want to be clear that I think it’s a valid way of making pictures, but it is not what I’m interested in. I’m interested in the relationship and what happens when two people spend a long time in a room together, intensely conscious of one another. Something changes. Expressions change. Facades drop. Boredom happens, humility happens, other states get revealed. (via)


Opening reception @ Sat (9/24) 6-8 pm

Rose Gallery
2525 Michigan Ave # G5
Santa Monica, CA 90404

No comments:

Post a Comment