Saturday, September 11, 2010

Alyson Aliano "Familiar Places" (9/18)




("Moms" series)




("Scenes from Home" series)

I started the moms project when I was a stepmother to twins. People would continually ask, arent you going to have children? Dont you want to have your own children? When are you going to have your own children. The implication was that as a stepparent, I wasnt a real parent. At the time, I did all the things real parents did: took the kids to the doctor, went to soccer games, organized play-dates, birthday parties, summer camp and saved for college. My experience was a roller coaster ride: amazing, scary and exhilarating. I began to think about what parenting and motherhood were all about. I looked to other women to share their experiences and I photographed all types of moms: biological, step, lesbian and adoptive mothers. These women shared their hopes, fears, questions and experience.

The body of work that comprises Scenes from Home came about because it was quite difficult to schedule shoots with the many busy moms. I started taking photos of myself, even though Im not terribly comfortable as a subject. I figured, Im always here and accessible. I was also planning to move from New York to California at the time. My grandfather was 93 and I had a feeling it would be a very specific time in my family. I photographed that time because I was leaving one home and preparing to make a new one.



Alyson Aliano "Familiar Places"'s opening reception is next Saturday at Clark | Oshin from 6 - 9 pm.


Clark | Oshin Gallery at The Icon
5450 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036

2 comments: