Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Michael Light "LA Day/LA Night"



I shoot with a camera called a Linhof Aero Technika, which uses five-inch aerial roll film. One of the marvelous things about the camera, aside from it offering a big, juicy four-by-five-inch negative which enlarges beautifully and gets incredible detail, is that I can get about 220 images, electrically advanced, on a single film cassette....it’s very much old-school film, an analog beast from another time. I’ve culled its pieces together on eBay, as it’s no longer made. It’s almost like a thirty-five-millimeter camera with a motor drive, which is very unusual and counterintuitive for a large-format camera. I don’t have to think about film: the camera falls away and I can completely lose myself….

To be released at the end of this month is Michael Light's "LA Day / LA Night" on Radius Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment