Sunday, April 17, 2011

Road to Review Santa Fe 2011 (Pt. 2)

( photo :Elizabeth Avedon)


To prepare myself for the portfolio review, I turned to my trusty Google to find posts and articles about reviews - specifically about Review Santa Fe though I've found other links that relate in reviews in general. We are so fortunate to have access to such information that a decade ago would be harder to dig out.

The first place I checked out with Joerg Colberg who has an excellent series of articles. First is called "On Portfolio Reviews" which has contributions from folks such as David Bram (of Fraction Magazine), Andrew Hetherington (What The Jackanory) and Alec Soth . As a followup, Colberg posted up "On Portfolio Reviews 2" as well as his thoughts on promotional materials based on his experience at Atlanta Celebrates Photography. I found these most helpful.

I was also able to find photographer's thoughts from previous Review Santa Fe from Jonathan Blaustein, Manjari Sharma, and Jane Rosemont who wrote a series of post on her blog here and here and here

Other links I found helpful was Mary Virginia Swanson's "Portfolio Review Events : To attend, or not to attend?"

Finally, Aline Smithson of L E N S C R A T C H was kind enough to send me this link : photolucida : The Photography Review Festival How-To Guidebook.

I admit, it was like falling through the rabbit hole.I lost track of time going from link to link, site to site but here's what I came away with that I felt was important for me to remember.

1) Bring 15-20 of your best work - not work prints, not anything less than as perfect as you can get it. Why not show your best work ? No print outs for me, I'm going to a lab to get my prints done.

2) Prepare to listen. Listen to the reviewers, listen to other photographers. Just listen. And bring a note pad or your phone to take down notes. I'm assuming after the first three reviews, you're start forgetting who said what. Prepare statements about your work but I think the main thing is to listen to other's perspective to help develop your own work.

3) Make sure to have leave-behinds and to follow up. I've read somewhere that is where a lot of photographers drop the ball - the follow-up.

4) Manage your expectations. I've read although this is like speed dating - the review is more of an introduction of yourself. I don't expect anything to happen quickly from this. There's always a few "overnight" success stories but I've been in the photo trenches for over a decade. I feel personally it takes about that long to really nail down your perspective. Perhaps your mileage will vary but I feel I'm actually at the beginning of the career now at 37 years old.

5) Know what your goal is. The reviewers want to help and even if your work isn't for them, they may refer you to other folks. So help them help you by letting them know what you hope to achieve.

Later on this month, I'm going to to meeting with other photographers whom have done reviews before and ask their opinion. I'll probably running this every Sunday until the Review and will probably tweet/blog live depending on how much time I have.

Oh, real quick, I'll be in Seattle promoting my book at Sakura-Con next weekend so come by and say howdy if you're at Washington State Convention + Trade Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment