Friday, May 14, 2010

"Cosplay in America" book release party (5/23)





Excuse me while I toot my horn for a second. For the past year I've been working on a photography book on cosplay here in the United States. For the project, I travelled to six anime conventions in America in five months, racked up over 1,6,164 miles in travel and photographed over 1,600 cosplayers between May to September of 2009. (If you thought it was strange I posted about Morel Studio Support, a photo rental house in Atlanta last year, now you know why ! ) The following 6 months I spent editing the book down to 260 cosplayers representing over 30 states. Now next Sunday (5/23) I'll be having my book release party @ Royal/T, a cafe/store/art space in Culver City from noon to 5 pm.

Cosplayers will be in attendance, j-pop/j-rock provided by Tune In Tokyo DJs, and a mini-exhibition of five images will be shown. I'll have to thank The Icon for assisting me with the prints.



For readers outside Los Angeles, I will be travelling on tour with the book to Dallas, San Jose, Miami, and Baltimore with future stops in Seattle, New York and Chicago. Find out more at my website, Cosplay in America.

I'll be writing about how I use social media with this project on a semi-weekly basis. You can see my first post about it here.

So if you are curious about cosplay, come on down to Royal/T and check it out. I'll be happy to discuss cosplay, the process of making a book or social media aspects of it.

Sunday May 23, 2010 noon to 5pm

Royal-T
8910 Washington Boulevard
Culver City, CA 90232-2326

No comments:

Post a Comment