Friday, May 14, 2010

Giovanni Reda "Demigods & Cosmic Children" (5/14)



This Friday, May 14th, the good and awesome people at Subliminal Projects will be holding a photo exhibit and book release for Giovanni Reda’s Demigods and Cosmic Children. It all happens from 8pm-10pm, and the exhibit features over 60 portraits of professional skateboarders, artists, musicians, and personalities from the photographer’s inner and outer circles, including Angela Boatwright.

Oh, I remember Angela - in the early 00s, her photography inspired me and she later worked as an photo editor for Mass Appeal magazine which died in 2008. Anyways, tonight over at Subliminal is an exhibition and book release of Ciovanni, a skateboard photographer. I found an interview with him when asked why he did a book of portraits vs. book of skateboarding and he replied :
I shoot skateboarding every day, I live it , I breath it and I plan on shooting skateboarding till Im dead. I love shooting skateboarding. I wanna do a skateboarding book, maybe the next one, maybe in 10 years I dont know. I came up with the portrait book because a friend of mine who is a fashion photographer in NYC named Zach Gold has a huge studio, all the equipment, cameras, computers and everything. He told me, when ever he is not shooting I could use it. I never knew what I wanted to shoot in there. I’ve been shooting skateboarding for so long, I’ve met all sorts of people. I thought it would be cool to have all these people I’ve met through the years of shooting skateboarding in one book. I had access to a studio and equipment that should cost about 2 g’s a day for free, so I took advantage.




Interview + video here.

Subliminal Projects Presents

Demigods & Cosmic Children
A Photo Exhibit and Book Release Reception
by Giovanni Reda
May 14, 2010
8 – 10pm

Subliminal Projects
1331 W Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90026

No comments:

Post a Comment