Thursday, February 3, 2011

Malick Sidibé "The Eye of Bamako" (2/5)





When I began to take photographs, I never imaged that my photos would travel around the world after only a few years. I took photographs for people, for my country… I never could have imagined what happened next. My photographs are a kind of tourism because it’s as if you’re traveling to Mali when you see them. Photographs are reality: they never lie, and that’s important to me. I’ve developed all of my own negatives and have them categorized in my studio.

I understand that digital photography is simpler and much less expensive, but it’s not a true photograph for me. In analog photography, you have to focus the image, go to the lab, develop and work at it. Analog photography can’t trick you since it shows all of reality. In digital, you can manipulate the images.


Opening Reception : Feb 5, 2011 6-8 PM

M+B Gallery
612 North Almont Drive
West Hollywood, CA 90069

LINKS
LensCulture "Interview with Malick Sidibé"
Index Magazine "Malick Sidibé"

1 comment:

  1. Gursky and Crewdson shoot analog and believe me, there's plenty of manipulation going on there.

    ReplyDelete