Friday, December 11, 2009

Interview with Jen May of Help Portrait LA

PIX : Jen, so I have no idea how I stumbled upon the 12/12 event but I found you listed here in Los Angeles and wanted to find out how you came out running this particular branch though I like to remind folks out there that there are other events around Los Angeles besides this one. Just go to here and look.

JEN : I found out about this event through following a favorite photographer of mine, Jeremy Cowart, on Twitter. He shared a video on you tube promoting the event and after getting inspired I realized that I wanted to take the lead and get photographers together in L.A.

PIX : How was the process of pulling this event together ? Easier or tougher than you imagine it to be ?

JEN : In the beginning stages of planning it was surprisingly very easy to recruit volunteers. Since then, I've been very busy in setting up as much of the event details as possible, so that others can join and help in strengthening areas of need. I'd say the hardest part of putting L.A.'s Help-Portrait together was getting photographers to contribute in the preparation of this event and not rely so much on someone else to do the work. Apart from that I'm very proud of the volunteers who are giving back in this event.

PIX : Tell me about your background and how you got into photography

JEN : After I graduated from college I decided that I didn't want to be a journalist working for a newspaper. I wanted to create my own work, help others in my own way, and photography was something I always enjoyed. So, I launched my website www.jenmayphotography.com, found work experience as a wedding photographer, and from there my craft has picked up momentum to where it is today: a pace of giving and growing as a working artist.

PIX : Can you tell us how Saturday is scheduled to work out ?

JEN : Our event starts at 9:30 until 2:30, open to the public, especially those who could use a family portrait because they've never gotten one before. Every guest who comes will receive a free portrait session at one of our photographer stations, including free prints on-site to take home with them. A special shout out to Kodak and Ketchum for providing this service to our event.

PIX : And if folks wanna get involved and help in some way, what can they do ?

JEN : Currently, we have over 100 volunteers. Those who want to help can come out and support, but all of our stations are full. Please help spread the word to deserving families and individuals to take advantage of this gift.

Here's a video I put together explaining the event in simple way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGU3zdg-jCA



PIX : Thanks Jen !

JEN : Thanks, Eric! Hope to meet you tomorrow.

Saturday 9:30 am - 2:30 pm

Global Cafe
11002 Ventura Blvd
Studio City, CA 91604-3546
(818) 508-0595



Help Portrait LA
Help Portrait

2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome, I'm volunteering tomorrow here in LA. Great work and wonderful inspiration.

    Rodney W.
    www.photo-marketing-mentor.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the interview again, Eric :)

    ReplyDelete