Thursday, December 17, 2009

Todd Gray "Michael Jackson : Before He Was King" book signing (12/22)




I first met Michael in 1974, when I was sent on an assignment to photograph Stevie Wonder at the Record Plant studio in Hollywood. Stevie was recording the single “You Haven't Done Nothin',” which featured backing vocals by the Jackson 5, so Michael and his brothers were there. I had been photographing rock groups since 1971, while I was still in high school, and kept on to help pay for college and later, art school. When I got to the studio that evening I walked into the engineering booth and saw a young man with a huge Afro. He was wearing ill-fitting slacks and hovering around the mixing board, watching Stevie's hands intensely as Stevie was adjusting the sound of the playback. I realized he was Michael Jackson. I had no idea that the pictures I took of him then would be the beginning of a decade-long journey.

Between 1974 to 1983, Todd Gray was Michael Jackson's personal photographer. Gray is currently a professor of art and photography at Cal State Long Beach and lives in Los Angeles.

This upcoming Tuesday (12/22), Steve Turner Contemporary will be exhibiting some of his photography and Todd will be available to sign copies of his book "Michael Jackson : Before He Was King"

Tuesday December 22, 2009 7-9 pm

Steve Turner Contemporary
6026 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles CA 90036

* Right across from BCAM/LACMA.
Vanity Fair : I'm With Michael !

No comments:

Post a Comment