Monday, December 28, 2009

IRIS Nights : An Evening with Neil Leifer (1/7)




I know, and my best picture ever, in my opinion, is my Ali Cleveland Williams picture that I shot from overhead. I don’t usually hang my own photos, I collect other people’s pictures. But that picture’s been hanging in my living room as long as I can remember. I have a 40x40 print of it which is hung in a diamond shape with Williams at the top. That's the guy that’s on the canvas on his back.

When I began there were far fewer photographers and far more places to get published. Today there are more photographers, far more photographers, coming out of schools with degrees. Good photographers and far fewer places to work and therefore I think it’s a much tougher business to crack. But having said that, there’s always going to be another Richard Avadon. There’ll be another Annie Leibowitz. There’ll be another Walter Iooss. Who knows, there might be another Neil Leifer, you know. I would never discourage any young person from going into the field but I just think it’s a much tougher nut to crack. A much, much tougher business than it used to be.

(Interview)

Annenberg Space for Photography's IRIS NIGHTS comes back in 2010 with an evening with legendary photographer Neil Leifer on Jan 7, 2010 6:30-8 pm and as always is is free :)

Tickets become available at NOON today (12/28) here.


IRIS Nights @ Annenberg Space for Photography
2000 Avenue of the Stars
Century City, CA 90067

No comments:

Post a Comment