Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Benjamen Chinn (1921-2009)





"Benjamen, like many artists, worked quietly outside of the limelight producing a wonderful body of work. I had the opportunity to exhibit with him in the Perceptions exhibition at the San Francisco Museum of Art in 1954. I was thirteen, and it was my first exhibit; over the years, I still recall Benjamen's images of San Francisco's Chinatown from that exhibit. He had a terrific eye for the moment. Also, like many artists, I believe that his work will be discovered by those who missed it during his lifetime."

- Merg Ross

The following excerpt is from a 2003 interview with him done by the SF Gate.

Q: You studied under Ansel Adams. What was he like?

A: He and Minor White conducted (the course). After the first two years Ansel left Minor to run the program. The strangest thing is I never got any feedback from Minor. For one thing, I had my own darkroom. So I'd get my assignments and go home and do my things. I didn't sit around and shoot the bull like most photographers -- and see what the others were doing.

Until maybe 10 years ago. There are at least 10 of us (from Chinn's classes) still around. Now I see them for lunch sometimes.

Q: What was the occasion 10 years ago that reunited you with your colleagues?

A: We had a show for the 50th anniversary of Ansel Adams' class at the Transamerica Building. They chose 50 photographers; we were allowed to put in one print each.

Finally, when we met again, Phillip Hyde (classmate and friend) said: "Gee, you were the star of the class. We always wanted to know what you'd come out with."

. . . . .

Q: Advice to new photographers?

A: Take your time. Don't go rushing down the street -- you'll miss a lot of things. Look up and look down.

Q: With all the years of training, travel, human interaction and experience under your hat, what might you say has become your approach -- or philosophy, if you will -- to taking a great photograph?

A: Nothing. I still rely on instinct.

Q: Is that the secret?

A: No secret. I've been very fortunate all my life. All these things just fell into place. It just happened.

LINKS :
SF Gate interview w/Benjamen (2003)
LA Times Obituary
Adam Chin's Flickr page on his uncle, Benjamen

No comments:

Post a Comment