Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Four Evenings with Fine Art Photographers : Whitney Hubbs (5/28)



This month Whitney Hubbs is featured. She is not a "name" photographer quite yet, but I thought it would be interesting to hear from someone starting out in the photography world, having just received her MFA from UCLA. She was one of the creators of the Art for Obama Auction, and was selected by the Humble Arts Foundation as an emerging photographer to watch. - Aline Smithson

This Thursday at A&I Santa Monica, Aline Smithson is hosting the third of a series of four evenings with fine art photographers. The series above is from Hubb's "Nothing Happens in June" series.

The photographs are symbols to my life, I am making a map of my world; and once edited and sequenced they become parables. The idea of journey (representational and metaphorical) is explored both, in the mood of my photographs as well as the idea of the collective portrait. I am interested in the transitions that I experience, as well as in my subjects and how I relate to them. And I look to the landscape to symbolize the cycles of life.


Thursday 5/26 7-8:30 pm

A&I Santa Monica
1550 17th St.
Santa Monica, CA 90404

$20 General; $10 for Students w/ID (valid for Art Center, SMC and Brooks students only)

www.whitneyhubbs.com
www.juliadean.com/events

No comments:

Post a Comment