Monday, May 4, 2009

OPENING : Greg Watermann "I Photograph Rock Stars" (5/7/09)


Greg Watermann is currently one of the top music photographers in the world. Over the years, his unlimited access at concerts has routinely involved him standing on-stage with of some of the biggest names in Rock n' Roll. This perspective combined with Watermann’s “in the trenches” style gives photography and music fans alike a perspective of really being there and has earned him the rights to photograph such bands as System Of A Down, Linkin Park, Coldplay and Mudvayne.

The exhibit “I Photograph Rock Stars” takes a walk through the timeline of Watermann’s career, ranging from early portraits of Julia Roberts to more recent portraits of Ozzy. Unpublished and unseen treats will be unveiled for the first time, including the outtakes from Nirvana’s first magazine shoot and the debut of a new multi-media presentation documenting System Of A Downs last (?) concert with hundreds of live photos cut to music


Opening Reception: Thursday, May 7, 7pm-10pm
A&I Hollywood, May 7– June 10
A&I Santa Monica, June 18 - July 24

I met Greg once many, many years ago. I was living in Dallas at that time and a kid fresh out of college. I had only just started assisting and I would venture to photographer's studios to introduce myself. I don't remember much of the meeting except he had a large photo he had done of Nirvana in his waiting room. Kurt Cobain had died just a few year earlier so that was still fresh in mind. I remember him mentioning that New York or LA was the place to go. He himself had just arrived from New York earlier and he didn't stay too long, soon after I moved to Los Angeles, I saw his name around town.

A & I site
gregwatermann.com

No comments:

Post a Comment