Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Three H’s

I've been reading Erik Proulx's blog "Please Feed the Animals" since Jan '09. I have no idea how I stumbled upon it, Y'all know how it happens when you go from link to link to link and even though I'm not in the advertising business, I feel all creative business is pretty much universal. Best posts I like from his blog are inspiring stories. My personal favorite is from Mark Moll's post but today but a closer one is The Three H's written by Roger Baldacci

Some choice words...

Make your book lean and mean. Cut out any fat. Anything that will bring you down. Less is more. So that pro bono ad that really ran for that local shelter? If it’s not killer—up to the standards of Cannes judges, then take it out of your book. The quality of your work is still the difference maker. So if you’ve been meaning to re-art direct that campaign, or replace the “weak sister” headline, then now is the time to do it.

Network. No, not just on Facebook. Go to industry events and award shows. Try to meet the people who could hire you. Or work for the people who could hire you. Make yourself known.


(On the networking thing, I find it surprising when I attend the AIGA events in town that I don't see many photographers. AIGA is for designers as APA/ASMP are for photographers....go check them out AIGA/LA but give them a few days, I see they're transferring their site over to MediaTemple so their page is sort of here and not here.)

Read the full post here, then you can figure out what those three Hs are !

No comments:

Post a Comment