Sunday, May 10, 2009

Looking In : Robert Frank's "The Americans" @ SFMOMA (4/16)


I'm thinking I'm due for a road trip up to San Francisco after I heard that Robert Frank retrospective of his book "The American" scheduled for next week at SFMOMA

The exhibition celebrates the 50th anniversary of the book's publication by presenting all 83 photographs from The Americans in the order established by the book, and by providing a detailed examination of the book's roots in Frank's earlier work, its construction, and its impact on his later art.

There is also a companion exhibit called "Picturing Modernity" on the photographers who inspired Robert Frank as well as photographers inspired by Robert Frank. On SFMOMA page, I noticed images from Lee Friedlander, Garry Winogrand and Walker Evans.

In addition to the exhibit, there is a Robert Frank Retrospective film series. In 1959 he turned to filmmaking to expand his palette "I think I became more occupied with my own life, with my own situation, instead of traveling and looking at the cities and landscape. And I think that brought me to move away from the single image, and begin to film, where I had to tell a story."


His films run from about 20 min to 90 min shot on 16mm, 35mm, and video. He tackles a range of subject from his relationship with his children to documenting a group of folks living on an island off Nova Scotia. All are shown over mutiple dates except for Candy Mountain (1988) to be screened only once on June 13, 2009 @ 3 pm.

Full film schedule here

The exhibit runs May 16th - August 13th.

Oh, Richard Avedon : Photographs 1946-2004 will open July 11th. Info.

No comments:

Post a Comment