Sunday, August 22, 2010

Jordan Bower "Walking to Mexico"



I stumbled upon Jordan's photography project on Kickstarter, a website that allows folks to find backers for their projects. Watching his video made me remember when I backpacked through Europe and how we all see other cultures through different eyes - mostly of those in the media - i.e movies, magazines, etc and how do we really know where we are ? I've been informed as many other in this country as to what life is like in other countries via the media but until we leave the United States and travel for ourselves do we really see other cultures. About a decade ago, I used a credit card to finance my backpacking trip through Europe for 6 weeks. Best use of my credit card ever. I urge anyone who hasn't step foot outside to really take time to change your perspective.

Jordan had an idea to document Americans and to bring it to India as you can see from the video above. Here's some statements from his introduction :
I use intimate photography to share the things I love. And what I love most are people. I'm fascinated by our differences, our achievements, our weaknesses, and our dreams, and by the common threads that link us all together.... I have a dream of travelling through life as a pilgrim. To me, that means walking slowly, thinking about big ideas, and connecting with people in order to learn, share and grow. This August, I'm going to follow my dream by walking 1,800 miles down the Pacific Coast of the USA, from Vancouver, Canada to the Mexican border.

...

When the walk is complete, I will travel to India, a place where I've previously travelled for more than a year and a half, and hold a public exhibition in a public space. The idea here is to explore the connection between East and West and to offer the lessons of my pilgrimage as widely as possible.

Using Kickstarter, he raised $8.051 to back his project. Read about it on his Kickstarter page as well as checking out own website and follow his journey at walkingtomexico.com

No comments:

Post a Comment