Wednesday, December 8, 2010

IRIS Nights - George Steinmetz "Aerial Photos of the World's Extreme Deserts" (12/16)





I encountered some strong winds after rising up above the desert takeoff, and spent too much time taking pictures. By the time I was ready to land the winds had picked up to the point where I couldn’t maintain my position, and was flying backward while heading into the wind. When I landed I got dragged face-down across the playa, like a guy strapped into a spinnaker in a gale, except that I had a big leaf-blower on my back. I ended up wrapping the brake lines around my hand to pull the wing it. I was pretty badly banged up and scraped, but was able to fly again the next day.

George Steinmetz will be at IRIS Nights next Thursday (12/16) to speak of his aerial photography done by using motorized paragliding. The lecture series is free to the public and tickets become available today at noon and tomorrow at 9:30 am over here. IRIS Nights is held over at the Annenberg Space for Photography in Century City, CA.

Link
Adventure Journal "The Aerial Art of George Steinmetz"

No comments:

Post a Comment