Monday, December 27, 2010

Jeanne Moutoussamy-Ashe "Daufuskie Island" (1/6)



"I still treasure how I was welcomed into a characteristically private and shy community. Being allowed to watch their activities, and moreover photograph them, was a blessing, especially considering their reluctance to be photographed. I wrote in my original preface that they chose to trust me and trust that the pictures I was taking of them would somehow be worth it in the end. Because the Daufuskie I photographed no longer exists, I know now that these photos are an invaluable archive for the islanders and greater American society, which makes me confident that their trust was not misplaced.”


Opening Jan 6, 2011 and runs till June 5, 2011.

California African American Museum
Exposition Park
600 State Dr
Los Angeles, CA 90037-1267

1 comment: