Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Botanicals: The Photography of Imogen Cunningham (1/9)





I was brought up on art. You see, my father thought I had a great hand at art and he sent me to art school on Saturdays. That was because of my report card in the general public schools. I had one teacher who was so keen about art. For instance, she put me in the back row -- the very last seat -- so that I could draw all the people in the room, if I wanted to, and when I had my lessons done. And those things influenced my father who said, "You should go to art school." So, on Saturday mornings I went to art school. I was always connected with it in some way or other. But he did not want me to become a photographer. Not on account of the money, which he knew nothing about. But he said, "Why should you go to school so long and just turn out a photographer?"


Opening this Sunday, Jan 9, 2011 at the Oceanside Museum of Art, visitors will have a chance to become acquainted with the black & white images of Imogen Cunningham. At 2 pm there'll be a gallery talk by Arthur Ollman, Director of the School of Art, Design and Art History, SDSU. The exhibition runs till May 22, 2011.

Preview reception on Jan 8th from 5-7 pm. OMA members free, public $10.

Oceanside Museum of Art
704 Pier View Way
Oceanside, CA 92054

LAT

No comments:

Post a Comment