Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Manjari Sharma’s “Water" (1/8)





I was actually centering my showers around this light that came in through my bathroom window. For one hour, it turned my shower space into this glorious sun room, and then I invited my first subject to shower in that space for me. So, in essence, the project started in a very simple way—following the light, and my heart of course. But as I studied what happened to these people as they showered for me, I felt there was a ritualistic unveiling of the mind. The walls that somehow surround us and restrict us came down in the shower and made people say some very personal things about their life to me. In my artist statement, I attribute it to the intimacy of standing in the same bathtub, the washing down of the water, and the shower thereby transforming into a confessional.


Opening reception is this Saturday, Jan 8 at Kopeikin Gallery and according to her blog, she won't be able to make it to opening itself but will be here for the closing reception on Feb 12, 2011. You can read more about Manjari from her interview here.

The other photographer exhibiting at the same space will be Steve Fitch.

Kopeikin Gallery
2766 La Cienega Blvd (just north of Washington)
Los Angeles, California 90034

No comments:

Post a Comment