Sunday, January 30, 2011

"Finding Vivian Maier" + Kickstarter



I must admit, I was curious to see a resurgence of interest of Vivian Maier. I had posted some of the images last May but one couldn't help noticed the blogosphere's chatter about her this January. I didn't realized that it has grown so much since the images first surfaced last year that an independent documentary was being mounted. The filmmakers chose to go with Kickstarter to fund the pre-production phase.

Kickstarter has been mention many times in the media within the last year and it seems crowd-funding is one of the new methods for independent artist to get financing. LA photographer Patrick Hoelck recently used the site to secured funds for his Polaroid Hotel book while drkrm/lab/gallery (they just recently moved to downtown LA) is using RocketHub.

This is the future of helping artist finance their personal projects ? I'm not sure but I will tell you my second book, I'm using a combination of Kickstarter as well as applying for grants to help fund that project. Perhaps this might make a good blog for the future ?

No comments:

Post a Comment