Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dave McKean in LA this weekend ! (2/12) (2/13)





Those images above are just a few of Dave McKean's work in the late 90s. Dave's a unique soul. He's an illustrator, photographer, filmmaker, graphic designer, comic book artist. I first heard of Dave in the early 90s. At that time I was tiring of Spiderman and X-men comic books and gravitated toward DC's Sandman. Around 1993, DC launch Veritgo, an alternative young teen/mature adult imprint and I fell into Death and Shade : The Changing Man. These were the alternative to your usual superhero fares and as I've gotten older, I seek out more independent titles like Strangers in Paradise and Love and Rockets. Anyways, Dave McKean did many covers for DC comics which I would call mixed media of photographing, design, illustrations and the kitchen sink. It definitely made an impact on my young mind.

On Friday Feb 12, Dave McKean is in town to do a book signing at La Luz De Jesus over on Hollywood Blvd from 6-9 pm. I can guarantee you there'll be lines and the place packed. ^^

Then on Saturday Feb 13th, is his opening reception to his new series “New Works Inspired by Early Cinema” @ Billy Shire Fine Arts in Culver City from 7-10 pm.

Billy Shire Fine Arts
5790 Washington Boulevard
Culver City, CA 90232-7321
(323) 297-0600

No comments:

Post a Comment