Thursday, February 4, 2010

Romain Philippon "Portfolio Duo"







I've always been interested in diptychs - I suppose I enjoy the contrast or similarities of duo images. My early promo cards were usually of two images - all working off each other and thus telling a story. This reflects how I view photography as vehicle of storytelling - each image building upon another. This morning while I thought about this when I happen upon Romain Philippon's gallery of diptychs.

In a roundabout way, brought me back to how people view your images. Do you prefer your website to show one image at a time ? Two ? Do you have a slider bar so folks can just slide through your images ?

4 comments:

  1. It drives me crazy when people use that template where you scroll through them all horizontally and they're next to each other. I always find myself not spending enough time with each image and rushing through. For me, one image at a time should be the be-all but dyptychs would be the exception to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a little wary of a diptych presentation. I prefer each image to stand alone on its own merits or weaknesses. I guess I've seen a few too many diptychs in which the image as a whole may be strong but the single image itself is just so-so. Maybe that bothers me more than it should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure - I've always felt people put images in diptychs because they were too weak to stand alone. Seen a couple of exceptions, though and it's probably a good exercise to try to pair your own up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys ! Very interesting conversation here, so happy to read it.
    I had the same feeling, and asked me the same questions when I started this diptych portfolio.
    But my idea was : I already have a "single images" portolio ( http://www.pendantcetemps.fr/portfolio/photo.php ) , and also a "serie" portfolio, and I just wanted to give a little more meanings to some pictures I didn't show before, some archive pictures. So I found this "duo" exercise quite interesting, and I hope it could give some small clues on who I am and what I think. To me, this portfolio doesn't have to work on his own, he has to be a complement of my existing one.

    ReplyDelete