Thursday, February 18, 2010

Helmut by June (2007)


So every since I was a kid, I love rummaging through used stores - bookstores, music stores, Goodwill stores, all sorts of store. In Hollywood the other day while digging through an Out of the Closet store I found one of those "For Your Emmy Consideration" DVDs for a buck - this one happen to be Helmut by June, a HBO documentary shown on Cinemax back in 2007.

At one point, he gestures to his 35mm camera and tells us the viewer "everything is automatic - all i have to do is push the button....it is all in there " He points to his head. For light, his assistant points a flashlight. Love it ! Photography is not about having a Canon 5D MK II or Profoto packs (though I love both) - it is simply a tool to translate what is already in the photographer's mind. Watching the documentary you see Helmut in action and in a way, he's directing a movie in stills. In a way very inspiring for me

The footage are pretty much all from his wife June's video camera shot in the early 90s. The documentary is currently unavailable - I couldn't find a sign of it on Amazon but someone posted the entire documentary on YouTube. Here's the first part. I imagine y'all are smart enough to find the rest. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment