Thursday, February 11, 2010

PIX CLICKS : ASMP/LA "Social Media" (2/10)




( Speaker Rosh Sillars along with ASMP president Barry Schwartz)

So I hustle my way down to Santa Monica during rush hour to catch ASMP/LA event "Social Media with Rosh Sillars". Curious to see what he'll talk about as I think I have a pretty firm grasp of social media since I do this for PIX. What you probably don't know is I also run a separate blog/twitter/facebook as well as my own personal blog/facebook. Which means at any one time I'm juggling three blogs, three Facebook groups, two twitter (I couldn't devote enough time to my own personal twitter) as well as shooting and assisting *whew*

Basically (and I'm just giving this a quick Cliff Note version) using social media is a soft sell. Hard sell are promo cards, emails and phone calls. And this isn't about bombarding many folks with me me me me. So sort of goes along with the PIX Feed. This blog isn't about PIX, the photography rental/sales store here in LA. I've probably mention PIX itself in less than 10 posts out of over 1,000 posts. Yes, every once in a while I'll mention that we have a new camera or equipment in, but this is more about the photo community here in Los Angeles. That is another point Rosh made. Making a community. Providing information. Reaching out. Being true to yourself.

For beginners, I'm sure they came away with a lot of new ideas. For me, I'm happy to have learn a few new pointers that I never considered as well as ideas that I could use for my own personal site.

The crowd was probably around 50 folks. I had a chance to meet Barry, the president of ASMP/LA, Don Pickard from Tom Pickard & Company (they provide photography insurance) as well as familiar faces from The Icon( a local lab in Miracle Mile). Found out later LA Weekly photographer Curious Josh was there - never met him but he's on my twitter - sorry man, catch you next time.

Anyways, go check out NewMediaPhotographer to find out more details.

For the cookie report, they were little chocolate chip cookies. Long time readers will realized I only go to APA, ASMP, workshops for one reason - cookies !

No comments:

Post a Comment