Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bernadette DiPietro "Laundry Lines"






Bernadette DiPetro :

In 1975 I received as a gift on Mothers Day my first automatic washer. Shortly after that I began photographing clothes hanging out to dry as my own personal statement. These were profound images because I grew up in a large, extended Italian family, and laundry was a primary daily chore. It was a task that had rhythm and order. Wringer washers, clothespins, balls of white cotton twine and wicker baskets covered with floral oilcloth were every day vocabulary.

In 1978 I began traveling to other countries and photographing foreign clothes hanging out to dry. Colorful clotheslines are the flags of nations and are much easier to find abroad. This inspirational concept stems from my early childhood memories of my Italian mother who set me on this visual journey. In 2003 my mom passed away at age ninety-two, and my vision of her is joyfully standing outdoors on a sunny day with a bushel of clothes at her feet, a cotton clothesline above her head and a few clothespins in her hand.

In 2000 I purchased my first, used electric automatic dryer at age fifty-three, and in 2002 my first brand new dryer. I do prefer hanging clothes out to dry. I like the dance with nature and the experience of the outdoors when I'm hanging clothes. I like being aware of the sky and the blowing wind. I like the smell. I like the color, design, and feel of weathered clothespins. I like creating arrangements of colors, textures, and shapes against the background of the outdoors. It's my picture that I paint against the sky, forming an instinctive, moving sculpture.

We all have our stories of hanging clothes. I hope my photographs release a few of your memories to some time or place where laundry touched your heart, and that you enjoy my photographic images.


Running concurrently with Richard Gilles "Signs of the Times"

Saturday, January 23, 2010 - Saturday, March 6, 2010

Opening Reception: January 23, 2010, 6-8pm

DNJ Gallery
154½ N. La Brea Ave.
Los Angeles CA 90036
(323) 931-1311

No comments:

Post a Comment