Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Althea

I was forward this and thought I'll post it up and perhaps some kind soul out there can help out !

Hello friends, colleagues, and mentors!

As some of you may know I recently worked on a project for Venice Arts partnered with the LA County Arts Commission, and NEA, where I mentored and taught photography to a group of homeless women in Santa Monica. The women used imagery to document and voice their experiences in the homeless community and the project empowered them during a turning point on their road to permanent housing.

One of the women, Althea, who's photograph is attached, discovered a new love and talent. The photograph below was taken minutes after learning the use of fill flash. As you can see, she is a great photographer and has a lot of potential. As a former chef, Althea's path took an unfortunate turn and through lack of support and resources, she ended up homeless, at a shelter.

When the photography program came to an end, which she claims a has given her hope and reassurance in life, she enrolled at Santa Monica College and signed up for Photography classes!

She called me last week while researching cameras, and is planning to use her government assistance checks to purchase one. We all know how expensive equipment is! She needs a DSLR, and I though I'd reach out to all of you. Perhaps you have an older camera sitting in your closet??

If anyone has a camera or knows of someone who does please do extend this message to them and I will gladly connect you to Althea. She is young, ambitious, talented, and worth supporting!

I wish you all well and please stay tuned for an invitation to the programs' exhibit on July 25th!

maya




If you can help, please contact Maya at : studio@mayamyers.com

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Brilliant. I don't have a DSLR but will post this on Twitter to see what comes of it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete