Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bolt Productions




About a week ago I was in Dallas, my old stomping grounds. I needed extra Profoto 7B chargers and I heard about a spot named Bolt Productions - a rental studio with their own rental dept. I figured they may be willing to rent it out so I head over to it.

To give you an idea of the photo industry in Dallas, most studios are photographer-owned. They may rent it out time to time but there's not much in term of a studio dedicated just to rentals as it is in Los Angeles. So I was pretty dang surprised to find a studio like that in Dallas. They have three studios ranging from 1,000 to 2,000 sq ft, 22" cycs, Coffee bar, kitchen, conference room, guest office, things you would see here.

I had a quick chat with Brian, the rental manager and he tells me folks were surprised when they walked in as this looks like nothing else in town.

What really wowed me was their rental dept. I'm a big fan of Profoto (though I think their gear is just overpriced) and here they had plenty of gear - beauty dishes, strip lights, Pro-7s, D4s, and all looking pretty pristine. Now I know for those photographers who travel, it might be difficult to rent Profoto from some cities so I'm happy to report if you happen to be heading to Dallas, you're safe - Bolt has the items along with Bronocolor, Dynalites and digital resources such as PhaseOne. As well as cameras such as Canon, Nikon, Hassy, and Mamiya.

A while back, Bolt was originally the Southern outpost of the Splashlight Studio chain (they have space in NY and Miami). I supposed they parted ways and now it is Bolt Productions.

So I'm sufficiently impressed after talking to Brian to post about these folks. By the way, they keep a list of assistants on their site too.

You can check out their rental list here

Bolt Productions
2410 Farrington Street
Dallas, TX 75207
214-234-8423

No comments:

Post a Comment