Friday, June 19, 2009

Tracey Landworth & Creative Photography Workshops

So about two weeks ago I had gone to a gallery opening "Visions" over at Creative Photography Workshops/Gallery right across the street from BCAM/LACMA. I was intrigued - the group photo show are images by local Los Angeles high school photo instructors.

Tracey Landworth is the gal running the workshop & gallery and had a quick moment to talk to her during the show, promising to email her later in the week with a few questions.

PIX : Tracey, I love the fact that you showcase work by high school instructors here in Los Angeles ! I have no doubt that teachers don't get enough recognition that they so deserved. I wondered how you came about doing this as your first gallery opening at your new space ?

Tracey : Sharing photographic energy. As a working photographer, photography teacher & artist, the idea to bring many photography teachers together to show their diverse work just sounded exciting to me. While there are a number of photo galleries in Los Angles there are very few venues for teaching/working photographers to exhibit. . I want the public to see the high quality of work that is done by these dedicated & passionate teaching photographers. Also it gives the teachers a chance to see what others are doing.

PIX : What's your background in photography ? How did you first get into photography ?

Tracey : I discovered photography in High School. My Photography teacher, Paul Kluth at Taft High School in Woodland hills, was a major inspiration to me. He opened up my visual world way beyond how to take a photo. He taught me to See the world. In class we would walk around the campus looking through empty 4x5 film holders framing scenes, as he talked about the top, bottom & edges of our unexposed images.

With humor & patience’s he inspired class after class, for some students I am sure he was the only reason they came to school. He was one great teacher! My father was an architect, and through my high school & college years Julius Shulman would photograph his projects. Kindly, Julius would look at my work, give me feedback & let me come along on shoots.

At UCLA I studied dance, and continued my interest in photography. After UCLA I decided to go for my MFA in photography at Pratt Institute New York. What a wonderful experience that was. Three years of shooting, talking, reading and experimenting with photographic ideas. After Grad school, I came back to Los Angeles. My first job was teaching photography at Barnsdall Park, Camera skills & darkroom. As I was teaching I stated shooting small commercial jobs. 20+ years later I am stilling shooting large & small commercial jobs and teaching. Teaching keeps my work fresh & shooting keeps my teaching real.


PIX : What inspired you to start a photography workshop ?

Tracey : I have been a working professional commercial photographer for the past 20 years, teaching on & off for that same period of time. I have had this idea to start a school for many years, this New Years Eve my resolution was to put it into play IF NOT NOW.. WHEN.

So I just went for it. I want people to not be afraid of photo technology and to go beyond just point & shoot. The camera is still even with all its buttons & menus just a black box with a lens. Classes have started, please join us!


PIX : Thanks Tracey !

www.creativephotoworkshops.com

No comments:

Post a Comment