Thursday, June 25, 2009

"The Man in the Mirror"



Photos : Ted Soqui


What a strange day today is. Before I left home, I checked twitter and there were reports of Michael Jackson rushed to the hospital. I thought nothing of it and headed out to ICON to take photos of their upcoming exhibition and to have a chat with Bonny Tyler (she heads ICON's Fine Art Dept) along with Nan Oshin and Kathleen Clark. My phone rang, noticed it was my friend and ignore it but then got a text "Michael Jackson just died". All work stopped.

Quick google check confirmed it. As I was driving in my car, local radio station broke the news and started playing some classic tracks. At a local Subway sandwich shop, the sandwich artists were all about what had just happened.

Icon is a word used a lot today but it is probably a good way to describe him. Is there anyone else a musical icon today ? A while back I had a discussion with some friends as who were the "names" in today's musical world. And there doesn't seem to be too many. Yes there's many bands such as Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Killers but they're not really "names" as say Elton John, Rolling Stones, or U2.

With the passing of Michael, I don't see too many left.

BTW : Love the photo Ted Soqui took over at UCLA medical center above with the girl and her pillow and there's another taken by AP photographer Nick Ut over at Jackson's star in Hollywood here.

No comments:

Post a Comment