Thursday, November 12, 2009

Juan Posada "Loncheros"







I love love love taco trucks !

Taco trucks are in LA the closest thing to Tokyo's ever present vending machine. If you've ever been to Tokyo, you will see vending machines in the weirdest places. I know if I ever I got thirsty, I'll walk about one city block and I'll find one. Hell, there was even a beer vending machine in a night club and I couldn't figure out why they would even NEED one there !

Same as here in Los Angeles. I know if I ever get hungry, I'll always run by a taco truck somewhere - either at a construction site or lined up over on 3rd St in Mid-Wilshire or out in Hollywood after 2 am - if I get hungry, I just pull over and get my grub on. Plus it's a chance to see Los Angeles. You'll see hipsters eating with old Korean folks eating with day laborers. And now in the past few years with the "nouveau" trucks such as Kogi it has gotten more attention.

So this week I was reading Calaveras Callejeras's blog where there was a post on Juan Posada's photography of taco trucks I was happy that someone out there was documenting this ! Check Posada's photos here. And there's an interview with Juan at CaliforniaTacoTrucks.com

"What makes taco trucks unique is the people; the people that work in them and the patrons that visit them. They bring life to streets that otherwise might be dead. The flicker of the grill, the fluorescent lights, the smell of carne asada and people gathered around food enriches the urban experience of many people in Los Angeles. I always establish contact with the taco truck owners before taking photos at their truck. So far patrons haven’t been wary of me photographing them. I always make it obvious that I am taking photos and sometimes tell them what I’m doing, if I feel it’s necessary."

No comments:

Post a Comment