Tuesday, November 10, 2009

“Sport: Iooss & Leifer” (11/12) @ Annenberg Space

Oooh boy, this Thursday Saturday over at the Annenberg Space for Photography in Century City opens "Sports : Iooss & Leifer". Even if you're not a sports fan, these two names should get your photography ears a-buzzing : Walter Iooss Jr and Neil Leifer.

For Neil, he will forever be known for this photo.




"Well, I was lucky. I don’t want to sound like I’m just being modest about it. Most good photographers I know, sports or any other kind, have pretty healthy egos and I’m certainly no exception to that. But sports photography is a matter of being in the right place. You’ve got to be in the right seat. A great example is to the Liston Ali picture. The photographer you see between Ali’s legs is Herbie Scharfman, the other Sports Illustrated photographer. It didn’t make a difference how good he was that night. He was obviously in the wrong seat. What the good sports photographer does is when it happens and you’re in the right place, you don’t miss. Whether that’s instinctual or whether it’s just luck, I don't know." - Neil Leifer.

For Walter, well, he's gotten a dream job. Shooting for Sports Illustrated, he gets a chance to photograph celebrated sports figures as well as celebrated super models for the SI Swimsuit Issue.







Here's an interview I found with Iooss on YouTube.

Anyways, the exhibition opens this Thursday Nov 12th Saturday Nov 14th. Walter Iooss speaks this Saturday (11/14) @ Annenberg also. I believe it's all booked right now so stand-by will be your only option. They usually release seats 10 minutes before it starts. The lecture is 6:30-8 pm this Sat.

Annenberg Space for Photography
2000 Avenue of the Stars
Century City, CA. 90067
Tel: 213.403.3000

INFO

UPDATE : Oops, looks like the press release I got was from an earlier date (Aug 18th) but I noticed on their website that the exhibit opens on Saturday the 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment