Monday, November 2, 2009

A Little History of the PIX Feed

So many of y'all know this was started in Feb of 2009 but did you know this reincarnation of the PIX Feed is 2.0 ? Yup, it originally launched in March of 2008 and our first listing of an LA event was the Slideluck PotShow @ 5th & Sunset. Oh, I love that event - though I haven't seen it here in LA for a while. Just for kicks, here's that entry :



Yup, back then when MySpace was king (remember MySpace ?), PIX had a page with somewhere over 1,000 fans. The blog originally was hosted on MySpace Blogs and so really only the 1,000+ people could access it.

Back then I covered local events along with national photography news - basically same format as now. Sort of interesting to go back a year's time and see what I blog about back then.

In Sept of '08 when our rental manager Robert went on his motorcycle cruise across America, he "hijacked" the blog to post of is adventures. We didn't keep up as date after that - one post in November, another in Jan and the final one was in Feb of 2009. So in all, the blog has been running for about 20 months now (give or take) .

Y'all can go back and look through that here but many of the photos are (X) now. In all, there were 156 posts on the MySpace blog and last I checked for the current blog, we posted about 860 posts - jeeeze ! I think we'll crack over 1,000 posts by the end of 2009. Today I do the same thing as I did with the old blog - cover local Los Angeles/SoCal photo-related events - openings, workshops, lectures, APA events, ASMP events, LADIG stuff, ASPP ones too.

The goal was pretty much the same as before. I noticed that NY had a strong web community back in '07. Blogs were aplenty about openings, workshops and all. I felt like i could actually keep up with the NY photo world just by reading 30 or so blogs. Alas, here in Los Angeles, we didn't have much. The city is too spread out - there's so much going on and all we know is in our little worlds.

Times have changed. I definitely see more of a community now and with so many of y'all on Facebook - I keep up to date with openings and workshops - but the problem is you have to be connected with everyone on Facebook just to know what is out there and some events aren't posted on Facebook or Twitter. I usually spend a lot of time going through something like 40+ blogs just to dig out some events. And believe me, it is hard sometimes. I have missed events. If you do have an event, email me a press release to pixfeed *AT* gmail or just post it on my Facebook or PIX Facebook fan page. I'm pretty much "on" 7 days a week checking twitter, sites, emails, etc.

In the future I'll explore how the PIX logo came to be. Many folks have commented about that and trying to secure an interview with the designer though I understand he now lives in Italy and was originally an instructor at Art Center.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say I really do appreciate this blog. It is one the few daily blogs that I follow. Since I travel so much with work it help me stay connected. This is really well done. Thank for all your energy you put in this. Cheers! Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto above. And as a non FB user, this is even more helpful.

    ReplyDelete