Monday, November 9, 2009

Michael Lavine "Grunge"








Can ya believe it ? Grunge is now 20 years old ? I was just starting high school and yes, I bought Nirvana's album and Pearl Jam and heck, I even bought the soundtrack to Singles, that Cameron Crowe film that sort of mixed grunge + Melrose Place (OG, not the reboot). Okay, the soundtrack sill rules, I still listen to it while the movie, alas, does not stand the test of time as well.

In that era, I do remember Michael Lavine's name. I believe it was SPIN magazine that I first saw name under the photo credits. He was definitely one of the "grunge" photographer guys in that time. In 1996, he came out with his book Noise From the Underground which I remember reading and looking through the photos while I was in college.

Now just last month, he's released his new book Grunge, over 160 pages of seen and unseen photographs from that time. For me, it'll be a treat. A chance to revisit images I've seen before at that age 15 and how they'll look now that I'm 35.

Michael has set up a gallery on his site with some photos from the book here. And you can hear him and Thurston Moore being interviewed below by WNYC.



Just for kicks, remember this ?

No comments:

Post a Comment