Monday, April 19, 2010

Jeff Antebi "Haiti Before 1.12.10" (4/24)



It feels a little bit suicidal. To keep from being consumed by fear, I make eye contact with every face coming into view. I look at every shadow and say “Bonjour.” No one says hello back. I’m carrying two large cameras. I’m conspicuous. Even though we’re enveloped in blackness, I snap portraits. I look at them, they look at me. No words are spoken. There’s a menacing vibration in the air. I walk by bonfires through an awful decaying landscape. I look at them, they look at me. Over the course of the evening, this happens a hundred times. They are ghosts, and I pass through a nightmarish, spectral landscape undisturbed, because I am an apparition to them as well.


Haiti Before 1.12.10 : Photographs by Jeff Antebi

Curated by LACMA's Edward Robinson. Benefiting International Medical Corps

"To view Jeff Antebi's portraits of Haitians, taken only months before the devastating earthquake, provides valuable insight into the depth and character of Haiti's people. The sense of commitment and compassion he brings to bear on his subjects reaffirms photography's power to inform and inspire, at a time when Haiti's challenges remain great."

- Edward Robinson, Associated Curator of the Wallis Annenberg Photography Dept of LACMA.

Opening reception : Saturday April 24 7-10 pm
Special reception : Hosted by KCRW's Garth Trindad and TheMojaMoja.com on Saturday May 1 7-10 pm

Creative Photography Workshops
6020 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles CA 90036

(Right across the street from LACMA)

RSVP -> Haiti.RSVP@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment