Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sensor Cleaning on your DSLR



Although many people do it yourself, I will admit I'm not a fan of doing that yourself. I had no problems cleaning a film SLR but with digital I guess I'm a wuss - I've heard horror stories and I admit I rather just give it to someone who cleans and maintains photo equipment for a living. There's plenty of places around town who can do this for you. I of course will mention Luis, our camera tech who maintains the equipment for PIX (call him at 323-936-8488) but Samy's provides this and I am assuming Calumet, Mel Pierce, Bel Air Camera does as well.

You can also try out the service centers for Canon and Nikon. For Canon I believe it is $30 and their Service Center is down in Irvine, CA (949-753-4000). For Nikon, there's Nikon Service Center in El Segundo 310-414-8107 or if you're in the Valley, there's an authorized Nikon repair facility called ACS in Woodland Hills. Their number is 818-340-0582. No idea how much they charge.

I've posted up a list of repair facilities around town here.

Oh, for strobe equipment repair, I suggest Silvino's Pro Flash on Cole St. He's old school. No website, small out of the way repair shop just off Santa Monica Blvd. He must be doing something right because every time I go there I can count on seeing equipment from PIX, Samy's, Smashbox, PRS and other local rental houses here. He's a nice guy - he's repair my Dynalite pack before and I've been going to him for a number of years. Call him at 323.962.7076 and tell him Eric from PIX sent ya !

1 comment: